Monday 25 April 2011

"promoting disability" what does that mean?

I have recently been asked, “I am curious about the title ‘promoting disability’” so I thought I’d explain it here, or attempt to!

well, it means that we are Promoting Disability as in we are promoting the fact that people with disabilities can and do live normal lives, and that it is not the dreadful negative affliction that some people think, and also that it is not to be afraid of. sure it can be hard hard work sometimes, and things can be really difficult for both disabled and carers, but it doesn't mean disabled people can't have quality of life and that they don't have as much right to everything as people without disabilities. sometimes they need to do things differently but they can still do them. sometimes it takes change or just a little bit of adaptation, but mostly its about people's attitudes. some people have disabilities that can't be seen!
i always say when giving my testomony that it is much more important that you are right with God and are spiritually well, than if you do or do not have a disability either physical or mental.

I hope that if you had any questions about the title “promoting disability” that that has answered them. If not, or you would like to comment on it or on the blog, know more about Through The Roof, or just ask me anything else, don’t hesitate to email me! Philippa@throughtheroof.org  

No comments:

Post a Comment